March 12, 2013

Bora Bora Day 3


After breakfast this morning, we took our boat shuttle over to the mainland and then a bus into Vaitape, the main and largest town on Bora Bora.   Check out the photos to see “downtown”!!

We did a bit of shopping, got a bottle of wine, cheese, and cold drinks and sandwiches to bring back for lunch.  It is very confusing.  The bus as the resort described it is a designated bus for tourists and only meets the boat shuttle (which is a dock in the middle of nowhere) at certain times.  Miss the bus and you could be stuck on the mainland for hours or worse, all night!!  We thought they had been talking about the regular Bora Bora bus which circles the island.   In any event, for a price ($12.50 RT each) we made it over there and back.    The Bora Bora Pearl Resort is not as organized as the one in Moorea; they do not offer explanations and give clear information.  A good example is the internet.  If I had bought 3 days’ worth, I would have had it yesterday and been paying less than I just paid to have it for 2 days.  Too late now!  I just found this out when I went to purchase it.   In Moorea, they explained everything to death – but it was helpful.   We have paid for meal reservations at the Bloody Mary’s restaurant tomorrow night and as of this moment we still don’t know if we will be able to get there.  Part of this problem was also the travel agent.  I am finished with travel agents, never will go anywhere again that I cannot plan myself.  The arrangements were basically good, but she gave misleading information which further confused things.  At least the resort is helpful ironing some of these problems out.  We had a reservation for prepaid meal at Blood Mary’s (on the mainland) for tonight; the first thing we found out when we got here was that the restaurant doesn’t pick up Pearl Beach folks on Tuesday nights and they quickly changed it to Wednesday when there is a pick up.  Hmmm.  Seems to me that is a mistake on the part of the travel agent.  But, we also found out that Bloody Mary’s car won’t meet our boat unless there is at least 2 couples.   See what I mean?  We still don’t know if we can get there tomorrow night!   I wouldn't care if we hadn't already paid for it.  Travel agent was concerned about us not getting one if we waited until we arrived and to give her credit she was right about that as folks who wanted to go on Monday couldn't get a reservation.  So….I had asked last night about it and Julia told me that sometimes when they have only one couple they have to call Bloody Mary’s and cry a lot….hope that works.   If you could see the distance that they have to drive to pick up people, you would understand. 

VERY hot and humid when we came back from Vaitape, we have been in our room with the AC since them.  Just heard a horrid noise, thought someone was outside with a leaf blower….nope, looked like a leaf blower but it was spraying the bugs!!

We have been eating at the main resort restaurant each night.  Very expensive and very Polynesian, Pacific type foods are on the menu.  I am contemplating the Risotto with Squid Ink tonight….each meal has been like that and served in small French portions.  Lunches, which are slightly less expensive but stop at 4 PM have pizza, burgers and the regular fish type items one sees here.

I will have the internet until we leave, so updates will continue!!

1 comment: