Yesterday we walked around the harbor to the local beach - stone beach like in Nice, France - doesn't bother me, I acutally prefer it to the awful sand experience. Later we had dinner at a little taverna on the Square - children were playing in the Square - fun watching them - they parents could have a drink and relax while they rode their little bikes or played football (soccer). We didn't even pick our meal from the menu, the owner asked if we wanted me or fish, asked us if we liked pork and then insisted we have his special. Dinner was to die for - roasted pork, stuffed tomatoes and vine leaves. I don't think I've eaten so much at one meal since we've been here!! After returning home to our patio with a bottle of wine, the girl who runs the place gave us a plate of watermelon - had no intention of eating it until we tasted it! Fruit here has true flavor, tastes better than anything we would consider the best at home.
Both yesterday and today I visited an Italian owned gelateria - and had my favorite dark chocolate gelati. Yes, it was the true thing - best I've tasted since having it at my favorite place in Venice. I just don't like any gelati - it has to be just right!! Yesterday we sat inside to eat it and who was singing on the radio but Eros Ramazzotti!! I felt right at home!
Jim went to beach today, I shopped a bit and sat at the harbor with my gelati. Tonight we shall have our last Greek meal - as I'm sure whatever we get tomorrow night at the hotel near the airport will not be the same quality, definitely not the same atmosphere!!! We have not had one meal inside since we left home! Every night it has been at a side walk cafe.
i had a grand time reading all the posts....
ReplyDeletewish i had thought to do that on the ship....could have easily documented the daily fun....next time.
i think you have incorporated everything Cretan....do they know what the means for us? guess not.
i know you will eek out losts of fun during your last minutes.....safe trip home !